H264 to streamable mp4

bomba jhonata.poma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:55:45 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've got an incoming H264 live stream which I want to play from a webpage
with low latency. The video format has to be HTML5 compatible and I want to
avoid any transcoding. With that in mind, I've choosen mp4 as the container.

Just for the starts, I'm testing the pipeline using videotestsrc and
different encoding/containers:

theora video in ogg container:
gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc is-live=true ! clockoverlay
shaded-background=true font-desc="Sans 38" ! theoraenc ! oggmux !
tcpserversink host=127.0.0.1 port=8080

shows fine in webpage:
        <title>A simple HTML5 video test</title>
        <video autoplay controls width=320 height=240>
        <source src="http://localhost:8080" type="video/mp4">
                You browser doesn't support element <code>video</code>.
        </video>

notice that MIME type is set as "video/mp4" - weird but works.

then I'm finally testing H264 video in mp4 container:
gst-launch-1.0 -v videotestsrc is-live=true ! clockoverlay
shaded-background=true font-desc="Sans 38" ! x264enc ! mpegtsmux ! queue !
tcpserversink host=127.0.0.1 port=8080

It does not work. I don't know why, it flows just fine but I can't see any
video on the webpage.

Any hints?