Broadcasting events?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Apr 28 06:31:19 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-04-27 at 07:27 -0700, aag wrote:
> The general use case is to run analytics on media in one branch of the tee,
> and produce output (using the  feedback from analytics) in the other.
> Running analytics in the same branch isn't an option, because media quality
> may need to be degraded before passing it on.

You could put the analytics element before the place where you degrade
quality, I'm not sure I understand why they couldn't be in the same
branch.

But what you want to do there sounds like it is better solved with one
of these two options:

a) you put the tee, analytics and the element that does something with
the analytics results into a single GstBin subclass. analytics would
post messages with the results, the GstBin subclass would catch those
in GstBin::handle_message(), handle them and pass whatever is needed to
the element(s) that are doing something with the analytics

b) analytics and the elements that do something with the results have
to share some kind of context object over which they communicate, e.g.
some kind of message queue or similar that the application is setting
on both of them via properties for example.