avimux problem with big files

rojiar ronny.jimenez at ridgerun.com
Fri Apr 29 00:37:25 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have been working with a PC pipeline to record a simple pattern into an
avi file. I used this as easier way to develop in an embedded system,
although the same happens on PC or in embedded. My GStreamer version is:
gst-launch-1.0 version 1.2.4, GStreamer 1.2.4

What I see is that, when trying to reproduce the file with either GStreamer
or VLC, or Media Player in Ubuntu, all of those detect a total video time
smaller than the time that actually was taken to record the file. For
instance, I use is the next pipeline to record a video, please notice the
amount of buffers on the videotestsrc is equal to 333039, so If I set the
framerate to be 25 fps, the total time of recording shouldn't be 3,700433333
(3 hours 42 minutes) hours???? So, when I reproduce the file using GStreamer
or VLC, both reports a total time of 3 hours, 7 minutes. Which is 35 minutes
less than the supposed value.

The pipeline used to record the file is this:

*
GST_DEBUG_FILE=recorded.log GST_DEBUG=*avimux*:4 gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc
num-buffers=333039 !
'video/x-raw,format=(string)I420,width=320,height=240,framerate=(fraction)25/1'
! queue ! mux. audiotestsrc num-buffers=555000 ! audioconvert !
'audio/x-raw,rate=44100,channels=2' ! queue ! mux. avimux name=mux !
filesink location=recorded.avi*

Attached is the file *recorded.log* of the debug output. I have double
checked and the avimux's property bigfile for openDML is set by default on
true, which is, AFAIK, the one that allows recording of avi files bigger tan
1 GB:

*  bigfile             : Support for openDML-2.0 (big) AVI files
                        flags: readable, writable
                        Boolean. Default: true*

The version of the avimux is also 1.2.4:

*
 Plugin Details: Name avi Description AVI stream handling
 Filename /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstavi.so
 Version 1.2.4
 License LGPL
 Source module gst-plugins-good
 Source release date 2014-04-18
 Binary package GStreamer Good Plugins (Ubuntu)
 Origin URL
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gst-plugins-good1.0*

Am I missing something? Is this a restriction of the AVI format, even in
openDML?

If anyone could help, that would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
rojiar