[gst tool]Need info regarding gst tool project

Luis de Bethencourt luisbg at osg.samsung.com
Thu Aug 4 13:08:43 UTC 2016

On 03/08/16 05:23, Ravi Shivagouda Patil wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We have developed tool which converts gstreamer pipeline to c source code.
>
> generated source code contains creation elements, linking, bus callbacks etc.
>
> Its command line tool which take gst pipeline as input and creates source code out of it.
>

> Now we want to contribute this tool to gstreamer open source project.
>
> Can you please suggest us on which gstreamer project this tool will be suitable ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ravi Patil
>
> Samsung India, Bangalore.

Hello Ravi,

As a Samsung employee I need to warn you not to send emails with confidentiality
disclaimer to public lists. Arun was very nice to reply, but it is the standard for
most in Open Source to never reply to emails with such disclaimers because of the
potential implications. Even if slim, they are not worth the risk.

Public mailing lists are to discuss open and public matters. So warnings about
receiving information, whatever it is, being *solely* for the adressee is very vague
since that is just an email address that we subscribe to.

Even more worrying for the GStreamer community is the mention of legal priviledge.
I am not a lawyer, and as far as I know, anybody else in this list. I don't know
the consequences implied in that disclaimer so I understand most stay away.

That said as somebody who already has a Non-Discloser/Confidentiality agreement with
Samsung, I am happy to reply.

How big is the source code for this tool? Could you please host it somewhere that
the community has access to it? github, a public git server or web server will
suffice. Open Source runs in the motto "show me the code". Which means ideas, fixes,
contributions, and such are based meritocratically on the quality of code. It is a
nice way of balancing the playing field and ignoring external factors.

Has your management approved the publication of this code? There is usually some
analysis needed to publish new projects to make sure there aren't any patent
violations.

The idea of turning a gst-launch style pipeline into the C code to run the same has
merit. It sounds useful.

Thanks,
Luis

PD: Feel free to contact me to my internal email for anything confidential
<luis.bg at samsung.com>

I use this OSG account to avoid cross-streaming from public and internal.