switching h264 streams fails when picture size changes

russ ranson at qumu.com
Sat Aug 20 00:41:33 UTC 2016

I want to send h264 video to an rtmp server, selecting between two input
streams. I am using input-selector to switch between the sources. The
problem is that if the picture size is different, the switch over works the
first time, but when I switch back, the player fails to detect the size
change, and decoding fails. There are periodic key frames and sps/pps from
the sources so the size information is available and is reflected in caps
events. I dont see any pipeline errors and data is still flowing.

However, this works if I use mpegts as the muxer, instead of flvmux/rtmp, or
if there is no size size difference between the input streams. It also works
if I decode, select then re-encode, but I want to avoid having to do that if
possible.
Is there a way to make this work with rtmp without re-encoding?

Thanks,

Russ.