Gstreamer live and non-live pipelines.

ShivaKumar shivakumar.mudugal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 09:05:29 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I needed clarification regarding the live and non-live pipeline. I have a
player pipeline to play RTP streamed data. To be specific, am playing mpeg
ts over RTP.

I am using "appsrc" to feed the data to the pipe line, (pushing buffers
using gst_app_src_push_buffer). As I understand this is a typical scenario
of a live pipeline. The pipe line looks like this

(de-payed the RTP packet before feeding to the pipeline)
                                              -> audio dec -> sink
appsrc -> tsdemux  -> queue
                                             -> video dec   -> sink

>From the latency query i see the pipe line is non-live. But this is typical
case of push-mode.

If I introduce RTP jitter plugins in the pipe line then the pipe line
getting identified a live

-> audio dec -> sink
appsrc -> RTP jitter -> RTP depay ->  tsdemux  -> queue

-> video dec   -> sink

Both pipelines are working in push mode. But what the difference in the
behavior. Why Gstreamer is not considering both pipe lines as live  ?

-Regards,
Shiva Kumar