Receiving RTP without udpsrc

wsnark at tuta.io wsnark at tuta.io
Wed Dec 28 23:13:30 UTC 2016

Peter, Tim, Sebastian - thank you very much for the answers. It is clear for me now how to handle RTP from non-udpsrc.

I have played a bit with gst-launch-1.0 and rtpstreampay/rtpstreamdepay (without timestamps) - and like Tim said, they work almost fine together with udp on a localhost. Going to do a bit more tests over Wifi network in a demo environment.

About socket activation. Thanks for pointing at xinetd, Peter. So far I have been considering only own "proxy" - but actually need to consider xinetd and systemd for this purpose [1]. Though looks like custom proxy will be more flexible - allows timestamps and custom transport.

About shmsink/src. I'm not good at shared memory stuff - is there any documentation on this plugin besides very brief [2]?

About pcmu - used as an example. Though I suppose this G.711 should be fairly good for Wifi/LAN voice path. BTW, what is recommended as the best for sending/receiving voice on embedded Linux - Opus?

[1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/inetd.html
[2] https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-bad-plugins/html/gst-plugins-bad-plugins-shmsink.html

Thanks,
Wire Snark