IMX Scaler / CSC m2m driver.

Florian Vaussard florian.vaussard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:32:34 UTC 2016

Hello Nicolas,

On 02/06/2016 12:06 AM, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le vendredi 05 février 2016 à 04:29 -0800, Florian Vaussard a écrit :
>> I am resurrecting this thread as I am also interested in using the
>> mainline
>> kernel to play video on iMX6. Has the status somehow evolved? So far
>> I was
>> able to use the hardware decoder with Linux 4.4 / gstreamer 1.6.1 but
>> with
>> poor performances. By using Philipp's patches I am confident that I
>> could
>> use the mem2mem CSC as well. But has someone been able to play
>> 1920x1080
>> H264 smoothly on the HDMI or LVDS output?
>>
>> The latest figure from Ian was 6.5FPS @ 1080p if I remember well. If
>> this
>> figure is still the best that one can get nowadays using mainline
>> tools,
>> where is the bottleneck compared to Freescale's BSP and is there any
>> way one
>> can help?
>
> What sink are you using ? What settings to you apply to v4l2videoNdec ?

The pipeline of Ian in the aforementioned thread was (if I am not mistaking):

gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location= Downloads/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov !
qtdemux ! h264parse ! v4l2video3videodec capture-io-mode=dmabuf !
v4l2video0convert output-io-mode=dmabuf-import !
video/x-raw,width=1920,height=1080 ! ximagesink sync=false

Currently I am using only v4l2videoNdec + fbdevsink. I am porting Philipp's
patches to linux 4.4 to get the IPU color converter but there is some work due
to recent changes in media and I am lacking time. So first I am looking at the
performances obtained by other people.

I saw some out-of-tree DRM/KMS sinks [1][2] but they don't appear to be merged
in gstreamer and both appear to be 2 years old, thus it will probably take some
time to get them up and running :-/ Do you know any other alternatives?

So before going into this, I just wanted to be sure that one can get good
performances at the end of the day without being trapped in a dead-end.

Best regards,
Florian

[1]
https://git.collabora.com/cgit/user/sjoerd/gst-plugins-bad.git/log/sys/kms?h=kmssink-master