DASH - Understanding MPD at availabilityStartTime

Romain Picard romain.picard at oakbits.com
Thu Feb 11 21:19:11 UTC 2016

Le 11.02.2016 17:18, Arjen Veenhuizen a écrit :
> Timing is still a heavily discussed topic in the DASH standardisation
> organisation but I'll try to answer your question. It depends on the
> profile
> you use but assuming MP4 or MPEG-2 TS profile in MPEG DASH :
>
> “When the MPD is updated, the value of MPD at availabilityStartTime shall
> be
> the same in the original and the updated MPD.”
>
> So when it updates the MPD by removing or adding stuff you shouldn’t
> update
> this value.
>
> Also, If I understand you correctly, you assume that Segment
> availability
> Start time = MPD at availabilityStartTime. But it is a bit more complex.
> It is
> actually :
>
> Segment availability start time = MPD at availabilityStartTime +
> PeriodStart +
> MediaSegment[i].startTime + MediaSegment[i].duration

There are only few available dash live sources for now, but see this one
with a 3 hours timeshift buffer:
http://bitlivedemo-a.akamaihd.net/mpds/stream.php?streamkey=bitcodin

the availabilityStartTime field is updated each time the MPD is
refreshed, and the period Start value is fixed to "PT0S". Maybe this is
not correct but considering the description of the dash specification
there are probably other sources with this behavior.