yet another udpsink question from a new user

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:03:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am very new with GStreamer myself, so take what I say with a grain of
salt, but I thought I would at least offer a few comments in hopes that it
will help you get going.

I have seen many examples of, and many have commented about the how using a
queue improves performance. So I would insert a queue element after your
appsrc and before the videoconvert.

Since you are using rtpmp4vpay, it appears you want an RTP stream, so I
would then also use rtpbin to manage the RTP streams.

These references were very helpful to me:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/tests/examples/rtp

especially
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/tree/tests/examples/rtp/server-rtpaux.c

That example showed me how to use an extra bin to contain video elements
separate from audio elements. But it also shows how to connect to the rtpbin
to get the RTCP streams going. It also shows how to configure the udpsink
element.

Another suggestion is to use the appsrc/appsink API for these elements. This
was confusing to me at first, but there is a separate API for these so I
would use them when you can.

Another thing that was helpful to me was getting my GstBin working so I
could get error messages and track state changes. So make sure in your code
you can receive any error messages. The way you implement that of course
depends on your use case and application but the regular tutorials show how
to do that.

-Andres