Audio/Video drift in overload situation

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Feb 16 08:13:47 UTC 2016

On Di, 2016-02-09 at 08:23 +0100, Thomas Scheuermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have several pipelines running on one machine.
> The machine is now a little bit in overload. I can't show the full
> framerate anymore.
> I also have one video stream with audio from an encoder (rtsp). In
> this situation the audio/video starts to drift and I get an offset.
> After 18 hours the audio is about 6 seconds late.
> Are there any settings in the pipeline or queues I could use that
> this doesn't happen?
> I thought that they shouldn't drift because of the timestamps
> GStreamer uses.

Is this just using rtspsrc or how does your pipeline look like? Is this
RTSP over UDP or TCP? Does the same stream not drift at all if the
machine is not overloaded (e.g. if you lower the resolution)?

As a first step you need to understand where the drift exactly comes
from. If it is already introduced on the sender side, if it is
introduced by rtpjitterbuffer doing its job wrong, or by another
element that is misbehaving under high load.