What is the proper way to pause/resume an RTP stream?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Feb 19 07:18:44 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-02-18 at 13:07 -0800, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am streaming an RTP video stream using appsrc and rtpbin. It appears to be
> working properly in that I can receive it on a separate local host, and the
> timeoverlay of the stream time appears to be steady with no apparent
> choppyness.
>
> Question: what is the proper way to pause/resume a live RTP stream?  My
> desired functionality is that the stream obviously stop, and when resumed,
> it resumes with the current video forgetting about any of the frames that
> were dropped when paused.

RTP is live, so when you PAUSE such a pipeline bad things will happen.
Take a look at rtspsrc for a way of how you can implement pausing
nonetheless. It requires two-way communication with the sender though.

However the easiest solution in your case would be to just put a valve
element into your pipeline, and whenever you want to "pause", you would
make it drop all packets.