UDPSINK live stream bug

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Feb 26 07:17:53 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-02-25 at 13:03 +0100, Angel Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me say what I have understood from your words and more tests.
>
> 1) udpsink sync=true -> the rhythm of the throughput is performed
> according to the clock from the buffers.

No, with the timestamps of the buffers according to the clock of the
pipeline.

> 2) when we are re-packing packets in groups of packets for UDP, is
> the resulting group timestamped only when the first packet from the
> group has timestamp?

That's what rndbuffersize currently should do, yes. If you need
something else you either need to use the alignment property on
mpegtsmux (to put multiple packets into one buffer), or write your own
element that does what you need while doing *something* with the
timestamps.

The alignment property on mpegtsmux seems to have a bug too though, as
it doesn't timestamp all output when combining multiple packets into
one buffer. Can you file a bug about that?

> 3) only the first MPEGTSMUX packet of a actual video frame has
> timestamps?

No, which you can easily confirm with:

gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! x264enc ! \
     mpegtsmux ! fakesink silent=false sync=true -v

> This also works "min=max=188", blocksize has no impact

blocksize on the sink only has an impact if it is operating in PULL
mode, which sinks are not doing currently.