Removing silence from a stream

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Feb 27 17:22:12 UTC 2016

On Fr, 2016-02-26 at 04:55 -0800, Sagar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I know that this thread is dead and its been a long time since the
> question was asked. Currently even I am trying to work on removing silence
> from the audio file / audio stream. I have tried using "level" and got the
> exact /GstClockTime/ where the silence starts and end.
>
> I tried using /gst_element_seek/ but no luck there. can anyone guide me or
> provide any code snippet which will help remove silent part from the audio
> stream/

Seeking is not going to help you much indeed. The best for removing
silence from a stream would be to write an element that analyses the
audio and drops any audio that is considered silence. It could
optionally also offset the following timestamps to make it appear as if
nothing was dropped.

Doing this based on GstBaseTransform should be relatively simple.

(Same goes for your other question about splitting on silence, you need
something that detects silence and then does something about it)