Hardware accelerated playback on RPI with OpenGL

Sergey Borovkov serge.borovkov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:22:26 PST 2016

Hi. I've been trying to use qmlglsink on Raspberry Pi. (It works fine if
Android codepaths are used since it's also OpenGL ES). Unfortunately I
encountered some severe performance issues when playing 1080p videos. (I am
using omxdecoder that is set up with broadcom OMX library).
I tried few pipelines:
1. In my application I have the following one filesrc -> decodebin ->
glupload -> qmlglsink.
As I said it worked almost without any changes. Just using Android
codepaths (and adding markDirty to updatePaintNode since Qt did not redraw
the scene with reused texture). Problem I am getting is that omxdecoder
reports a great number of dropped frames. For Big Buck Bunny trailer I am
getting around 600 messages about frame dropped. Qt itself reports that
time spent in rendere is 40-80 ms. And while it could cause some frames
being dropped 600 frames looks really crazy.
2. I tried the following pipeline with gst-launch:
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=... ! decodebin ! glupload