Getting Meta Api for appsink buffer (after h264parse)

mxn neumann.maxim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 13:39:07 PST 2016

Hi all,

I am using GStreamer to capture video from a USB webcam (Logitech C920) in
H264, and I want to analyze the h264 frames before potentially decoding or
streaming them to the net. Based on different sources on the internet, I
constructed a python2.7 script that allows me to get the frames into python,
basically using the schematic gst-launch command:

However, I am stuck with trying to interpret the received buffers. I spent
already quite some time trying to understand how python gstreamer works to
get the meta api attached to the buffer, but in vain for now. If I
understand correctly, if I get the meta api somehow attached to the buffer,
I will get a structure that will allow me to access the different elements,
and the information about the frame encoding (intra, inter info, motion
vectors, etc). How can I do this? (without writing my own decoder for the
frames)

Below is my current script, with some sample outputs:

and below are some sample outputs of this script:

Ideally, I'd like to map the meta api to the frames, assuming that I
understand the functionality correctly. Of if this is not possible, could
you advice how I could proceed?

Thanks,
Maxim