Question about Gstreamer support codecs

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Jan 13 02:20:02 PST 2016

On Mi, 2016-01-13 at 17:57 +0900, 박근백 wrote:
> Hello
>
> Now I'm using decodebin2 to decode various video codec files
> It seems that gstreamer uses autoplugging method to find the proper
> decoding.
> What is the order of priority to find?
>
> I would like to know the gstreamer decoding codec coverage.
> gstreamer can use ffmpeg(liav) plugin  (autoplugging also use libav?)
> so I think gstreamer can support many codecs (decoing) like ffmpeg.
> Could you advice the differences of decoding codec support between
> ffmpeg and gstreamer?

GStreamer can use all codecs supported by ffmpeg and using those also
during autoplugging. Additionally it can also use all the non-ffmpeg
codecs that are available for GStreamer, including special support for
various hardware codecs.

In general, if some codec is supported in ffmpeg it will also be
supported by GStreamer (or is very easy to add support for that).