Using GstVideoOverlay on Mac

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Jan 13 12:34:42 PST 2016

On Di, 2016-01-12 at 14:40 +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> On 11/01/16 21:07, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > Try using glimagesink, it generally works better than osxvideosink
> > and
> > also has more features. Does that work better?
>
> This behaves the same as autovideosink - if I omit the call to
> gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle then it displays the video in a
> separate window. When I include the call to
> gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle then I get no video at all, and
> my  NSView has no subviews. Although from inside the program,
> everything seems to be working smoothly.

Ok, that seems problematic then. Best would be if you could file a bug
here https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer
and include a example application (plus instructions how to build it).

> > Unfortunately I'm not aware of a plain OSX application that uses
> > the GstVideoOverlay interface, only GTK+ applications and plain OSX
> > applications using the CoreAnimation sink.
>
> So are you saying that nobody uses this feature on Mac? Is it
> possible that it simply doesn't work?

It was definitely working a longer time ago but I wouldn't be surprised
if nobody is using the GstVideoOverlay interface on OSX nowadays as
there are better ways for native OSX applications now.

However we should make it work again, but probably should first of all
check if it works in a non-wxwidgets OSX application :)

>  I don't know what CoreAnimation sink is, it doesn't seem to be
> installed on my system (a "full install" of 1.6.1).
> Is it something I could use for displaying video in a NSView owned by
> my app (which is all I want to do)?

No, it's something that is integrating into Apple's CoreAnimation API.