Capturing still frames from webcam with appsink?

Matt Sarnoff matt.sarnoff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:41:01 PST 2016

I currently have a working C program that streams continuous frames from a
webcam to an appsink. However, I'm only interested in capturing single
frames when the user presses a key.

In other words: when idle, the appsink receives no frames, but when a key
is pressed, the appsink should pull a single new frame from the camera
source.

Can you point me toward example code that accomplishes this? All the
examples I've found for still images use gst-launch-1.0 with
"num-buffers=1". I've found that there is a delay of 1 or 2 seconds between
the start of the pipeline and capture of the first frame, so I'd like to
implement this without starting and stopping the pipeline for each capture.

Thanks,
-matt