UTC timestamp into H.264 stream

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Mon Jan 18 14:55:55 PST 2016

Le lundi 18 janvier 2016 à 18:41 +0100, Florian Langlois a écrit :
> I implemented this on top of a RTSP server with gst-rtsp-server. Now
> I'm facing with an other problem. If the pipeline uses the realtime
> clock, the synchronization is affected by system clock changes
> (backward or forward), e.g. pipeline runs very fast or is blocked
> depending clock advanced or went back. Monotonic clock is not
> affected. Any idea how to solve this ?

Normally a NTP services try and be as smooth as possible on the
updates, so this effect should not be a disaster like you describe.
Also, UTC time is not effected by timestamp (it's not the timeofday()).
Are you changing the time manually ? If all you care is to have a UTC
time (and don't care about monotonic time) you can keep monotonic clock
for your pipeline sync. You can then compute UTC time by reading in
sequence the monotonic clock, the UTC clock, calculate the delta. Then
you convert the timestamp to running-time and to clock time, and apply
this delta to obtain a UTC time.

cheers,
Nicolas