Live audio peak detection

Tobi Skofic tobi.skofic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:01:52 PST 2016

Hi,

I'm a new programmer and I'm looking for some help.

Here is my problem. I need to detect peaks in a live audio from a pickup
microphone and output the exact time to milliseconds or preferably
nanoseconds of the peak in a .txt file.

I have been looking at two possible solutions. The first one was to set up
a shell script in linux to record audio increments of 5 seconds via the
nohup function and then analyze them in matlab, but the problem here is
that the endings and the beginnings of the recorded files are not exactly 5
seconds apart. There is a delay of 50-150 milliseconds when a new file
starts recording.

The second option was to do something similar to what they use for clap
light switches, but I have no idea how I would extract the exact time from
that. And I also don't know if that would work with a pickup microphone or
does it just work with a sound sensor (for Arduino...) like it is shown
here.
http://en.code-bude.net/2014/12/08/how-to-build-a-clap-switch-using-arduino/

I want to know if there is a better solution out there. Can I do this in
C++ or java, perhaps? Remember, I need to output the exact time in milli-
or nanoseconds.

Thank you guys, much help is appreciated.