Unfriendly packages for OS X installation/upgrading

Mischa Spiegelmock mischa at int80.biz
Mon Jul 11 18:17:51 UTC 2016

Hello, from the perspective of someone on OS X trying to install/upgrade gstreamer I wanted to give feedback that the user experience leaves much to be desired.

The website says:
Mac OS X
A .framework for Mac OS X can be found here <https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/osx/>. It is provided and maintained by the GStreamer project.

I click “here” and get an apache directory listing of versions. Not the friendliest thing. The common case is I want the latest version. Could be nicer.
Find the latest version, click the “dmg” file, end up with this:

Which one do I want? All of them? I have no idea. Why not have one package that installs everything? What is the common case here?

I pick one more or less at random. I get this error message:

So the OS X installer is basically unusable for most users.

I would like to help improve this situation. Perhaps I can help make one single package. I seem to recall it being that way previously?

Regarding a certificate, it is basically required on OS X that you sign your code now. Sadly. I am willing to purchase and donate a $99 Mac App Developer certificate for gstreamer if necessary, and I can volunteer to sign releases or give the cert to whoever currently packages them. Whatever works just let me know. I’m willing to help fix it up but I need someone to point me in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Mischa