Unable to select format types

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:44:27 UTC 2016

Hi Jack.

Using omxh265enc suggests you are using some sort of ARM based SoC system
or alike. I don't believe there exist an ARM based system that can encode
H.265 (or H.264) using YUV 4:2:2 (Y42B) as input *except* in software using
libx264 (here x264enc).

I've been searching around for such systems for our Live streaming system
for rocket launches (for COpenhagen Suborbitals), but so far I have come up
empty handed. I took a look at Nvidia Tegra based Jetson family, but they
are very vague on which codec profiles and levels they support. So far all
multimedia coding examples suggest they can only support I420 as input
(they convert Y42B to I420 before encoding).

*So, what kind of hardware are you running on?* It could also be the case
that your omxh265enc version simply only supports, even in the perhaps
unlikely case that your hardware can actually encode YUV 4:2:2.

I did find a company that can deliver libraries for ARM/FPGA systems that
can encode H.264 and possibly H.265 *taking YUV 4:2:2 and YUV 4:4:4 as
input*, but that gonna require a healthy and wealthy budget.

What you need is a hardware solution that will support one of the following
codec profiles for H.265 : Main 4:2:2 10, Main 4:2:2 12, Main 4:4:4 (only 8
bit), Main 4:4:4 10, Main 4:4:4 12, Main 4:4:4 16 Intra. So far I can't
find an ARM based (or OpenMAX) solution, that will support these profiles.

For H.264, only the profiles Hi422P and Hi444PP supports 4:2:2 Chroma
subsampling. As for for H.265, so far I can't find an ARM based (or
OpenMAX) solution (widely available), that will support these profiles.

What kind of hardware do you have access to?

Best regards
Peter Maersk-Moller
Live Streaming - Copenhagen Suborbitals