Gapless Playback

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Jul 14 08:34:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-07-14 at 16:43 +0930, Digits wrote:

Hi Dave,

> Is gapless playback only possible with playbin?  I have a fairly
> complicated pipeline using a uridecodebin, two video sink bins and an
> audio sink (plus video and audio converters) which works but I can't
> load a new uri for gapless playback. I can't persuade playbin to use
> a similar custom sinkbin which does offer the uri queuing.  I am
> currently trying the approach of using the uridecodebin drained
> signal to trigger the creation of a new pipeline - it this the
> correct approach?

It is of course possible to do gapless playback also with a custom
pipeline, but it's quite involved and not easy to get right.

There are many ways to achieve the same thing though. If you're looking
to do some kind of playout application, perhaps this will do the job:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/tree/tests/examp
les/playout.c

Cheers
-Tim