GStreamer: getting position parsing the stream

gianks gianksmail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:45:03 UTC 2016

is it possible to gather the position and clock on a video stream without
demuxing and parsing the internal video or audio stream?
I have a series of files generated by splitmuxsink and i'd like to broadcast
it as a live stream.My point is to be able to have a current valid clock in
the pipeline in order to have it flow at the playback rate.That's the first
attempt:
MULTIFILESRC->PARSETS->APPSINK (custom sink to broadcast received
data)
The pipeline starts but (as expected i guess) goes in EOS asap since it
reads all the files at the maximum speed my computer can run.
To avoid this i had to make the pipeline much more complicated and i'm
unsure if the approach i am using is the right one.This the working
pipeline:
MULTIFILESRC -> PARSETS -> DEMUXTS -> H264PARSE -> MUXTS ->
APPSINK                                |----> AACPARSE ---->|
So do i really need to demux/mux everything all the time to be able to
control the current position of what has been sent to the connected clients
andlet the pipeline flow at the required speed?
How can i avoid having to send something "refactored" by me? I should like
to push to clients the same data received without any manipulation.
Is PARSETS able somehow to provide the positioning info and the CLOCK?If
not, is it possible for example to set up a parallel "branch" of the
pipeline just for this, having APPSINK to receive the original data flow?
Like this, keeping APPSINK and FAKESINK aligned (how?):
MULTIFILESRC -> PARSETS -> MULTIQUEUE (OR TEE)  ------------------>
APPSINK                                   |
|------> TSDEMUX--> H264PARSE -> FAKESINK
The same problem is affecting my recording process forcing me to save a
"remuxed" stream instead the original.
Thanks a lot!