RTP Multicast issue

de_ninja daniel at gretzke.de
Thu Jul 21 14:43:25 UTC 2016

Hey,

I am streaming from one Raspberry Pi to another using RTP.

my sending pipeline:
gst-launch-1.0 alsasrc device=plughw:Device ! opusenc ! rtpopuspay ! udpsink
host=192.168.1.107 port=8001

my receiving pipeline:
gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=8001 caps="application/x-rtp" ! rtpopusdepay !
opusdec ! audioconvert ! alsasink

device=plughw:Device is my soundcard. I use it to receive sound from a TV
and send the audio to the other Raspberry. I have no noticeable latency or
other issues whatsoever.

But I need my stream to be received by multiple Raspberry Pi's. Now when I
try following pipelines with multicast, I have massive issues.

sending:
gst-launch-1.0 alsasrc device=plughw:Device ! opusenc ! rtpopuspay ! udpsink
host=224.0.0.1 port=8001

receiving:
gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc multicast-group=224.0.0.1 port=8001
caps="application/x-rtp" ! rtpopusdepay ! opusdec ! audioconvert ! alsasink

The quality drops dramatically, so I dont understand a word. I guess with
multicast the Raspberry sends the audio signal to every possible receiving
end at once which is inefficient, when there is only one Raspberry Pi
connected to the stream.
Now my question is whether I can improve the quality or maybe there is a
better solution for multicast streaming.
Because wouldn't it be easier to send the stream to one "place" and every
receiving end would "download" it, instead of sending it to every single
receiving end?