Gstreamer 1.9.1 vs 1.4.4 conflicts (Debian 8)

Piper984 mclennan at alumni.nd.edu
Tue Jul 26 11:57:10 UTC 2016

Hello,

<background>
I have been using GStreamer 1.5.x on Ubuntu and Raspbian since ~Dec 2014
successfully for a project I am working on.  I have a need to move the code
running on Raspbian (Raspberry Pi) to Debian (Snapdragon).  Unfortunately
the version of Gstreamer in the Snapdragon's repro maintained by the
96Boards Debian team is older than 1.5.  I believe I require 1.5 or higher
as there were some fixes to RTP headers made then.  My code that links to
Gstreamer doesn't seem to work until I get newer builds of the
libgstrtpmananger.so installed anyways.

I pulled the source packages down from git ( git clone
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/MODULES), and got everything to
build just fine under Debian i686 and also on the Snapdragon board.  But, I
seem to have some install/path issues that I am not able to resolve.
</background>

<my_issue>
I have successfully built GStreamer 1.9.1 (including plugins base, good,
ugly, and bad) from source on Debian 8 i686.  I was able to ./autogen.sh,
make, and then sudo make install with no issues.

However, when I run gst-inspect-1.0 --version, the old 1.4.4. version of
GStreamer is getting picked up when I expect to see 1.9.1:

chris at debian:~/gstreamer$ gst-inspect-1.0 --version
gst-inspect-1.0 version 1.9.1
GStreamer 1.4.4
Unknown package origin

When the same building steps are done under Ubuntu 14.04, the new version of
GStreamer is shown when I execute gst-inspect-1.0, and more importantly to
me my custom software that links to the GStreamer libs compiles and runs.

Why is Debian finding the older binaries from the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
directory and not /usr/local/lib/ ? Here is the output when I run pkg-config
for the libs I use:

chris at debian:~/gstreamer$ pkg-config --cflags --libs gstreamer-1.0
gstreamer-rtp-1.0
-pthread -I/usr/local/include/gstreamer-1.0
-I/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -L/usr/local/lib -lgstrtp-1.0
-lgstbase-1.0 -lgstreamer-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0

This is the same output as under Ubuntu 14.04, so I'm getting a bit lost
now. Any help/guidance is appreciated!  I am not really a sysadmin guy, so
hopefully there is just some idiot setting I missed that I need to pass to
my ./autogen.sh step that is a default under Ubuntu?

</my_issue>