Measuring network time

Sankar,Aswin Pranav apsankar at ufl.edu
Thu Jun 2 18:27:47 UTC 2016

I am streaming from a server to a client, and in the server I use a gstreamer pipeline (essentially videotestsrc ! x264enc ! rtph264pay) and an RTSP server. At the moment I'm able to figure what are the latencies at each element of the gstreamer pipeline by printing/tracing . I also know the end-to-end latency using black box testing. However, what I don't know is the time it takes for these RTP packets to travel through the network. More precisely, I want to measure the round trip time of an RTP packet as it leaves the rtph264pay element. If I'm using a gstreamer pipeline in the client also, if I'm using a udpsrc in the client, I want to measure the time from rtph264pay (in server) to udpsrc in the client.  This includes network interrupts and the actual network path. I also want to know the time these packets spend in the kernel due to network interrupts. Is this possible?

Thanks,

-Aswin