Crash when trying to stop pipeline containing encodebin

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Jun 13 07:24:26 UTC 2016

On Fr, 2016-06-10 at 15:32 -0400, Michael Guinzbourg wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the ideas. I will definitely look into GES. From the
> first 10 min reading I couldn't find how GES pipeline can stream the
> resulted stream to the network. My application is reading live stream
> from the network, making some manipulation and stream the output to
> the network. I've seen GES sink has audio and video sinks for the
> preview but I'm looking into muxing into mpegts container and
> streaming it to UDP.

Instead of rendering to a file, it should also be possible to render to
an MPEG-TS container and send over UDP. But your live requirements
might make GES not an ideal choice, you would have to try.

In any case you would have to implement similar mechanisms for the time
offsetting, maybe simpler. However as you use playbin's gapless
mechanism, it should already do that for you.

> Talking about time adjustment, my current pipeline is using playbin
> and convert live web stream (which are items in m3u8 playlist) into
> the continuous stream. And the reason for this design is the abilty
> of the playbin to connect playlist items together using 'about-to-
> finish' signal into endless stream. The pipeline doesn't hit EOS, it
> just plays it gaplessly. If I use playbin's default video sink the
> quality of stream is perfect, no gaps. I thought that if I connect
> videosink to my custom bin which contains encoder, etc, then I will
> have perfect solution. Instead, encoder complains about pts not
> coming in order.

This should actually work, it might be that the encoder is looking at
the actual PTS (and complains about it jumping backwards) instead of
looking at the running time (which should be monotonically increasing).

Please check the PTS and running times of the buffers that you get in
your custom video-sink :)