Is gstreamer thread heavy?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Jun 17 01:35:25 UTC 2016

Le 16 juin 2016 5:36 PM, "Aswin Pranav" <aswin2pranav at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Thanks. If I am using a profiler to profile these threads, is there any
way I can manually give names to these threads? Many threads in the
profiler report simply don't have a name!

Threads are named after the element that own it. All element have unique
names but default. As of my experience, it show up perfectly well in perf.

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 at 19:33 Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca>
wrote:

playbin has 3 threads. Why? Is the playbin plugin written that way? So the
number of threads is not decided by the framework but rather by the plugin?

>> The number of threads depend on the type of element used. All source
elements that runs in push mode host a thread. All demuxer that pulls from
sources will run a thread, all queues will introduce a thread.
Additionally, external libraries may also add a threads for parallel
processing, along with live mixers. The number of thread will entirely
depend on the pipeline the playbin need to construct,and the depends on
what is going to be played. Often, playing from local files require as low
as 3-4 threads.

on behalf of Jan Alexander Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com>

one thread per decoder and one thread per output device. In your case,
three threads.

a simple playback pipeline with .mp4 with video only decode, how many
threads does it roughly require? in general, appreciate your expert insight
into thread heaviness of gstreamer.