Gst.parse-launch vs manual pipeline creation

Krutskikh Ivan stein.hak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:04:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

I use gstreamer 1.8.X with python and gi. For convenience I use
Gst.parse-launch() for creating pipelines. But the more I use those
approach, I stumble upon issues:

1) Sometimes set_state(Gst.State.NULL) results in gstreamer exception about
some elements that should be manually set to NULL state. Sometimes (like on
handling EOS message) it works, sometimes it crashes with segmentation
fault with my whole multithread app =(. I came up with a workaround for
simple pipelines ( no tee's etc.): I set src element to state_null and
after that the whole pipeline. This kind of works, but only with straight
pipelines.

2) I cannot re-use my pipeline after it was set to state NULL. That's less
of a problem: I can just re-init my pipeline from scratch.

Are both of those issues the results of my lazy approach of using
Gst.parse-launch() instean of creating pipeline manually? And how can I fix
this?

Thanks in advance