udpsrc has no data for windows

William Salibrici bsalibrici at latticeinc.com
Fri Jun 24 20:45:57 UTC 2016

Hi Sebastian,
Sorry for the delay – I was away on vacation.

Regarding gdb, I’m not familiar with it and it’s not a native windows tool. I looked around and found a website that has 32-bit and 64-bit binaries of gdb for Windows for download here.

http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=gdb

Would you recommend I use a different one?

Anyway, they have gdb version 7.9 which is not the latest one [but pretty close]. I downloaded the 64 bit executable [and the manual for it] just to try it. I ran the udp receiver pipeline I shared with you in an earlier email. I set my environment to capture a level 6 debug log. I changed the port to 5018 because netstat showed port 5004 on my windows 7 machine was being used by another process. I captured a screen shot of the gdb debug session as shown in attached file gdb-debug.txt. It looks like the symbols from the launch executable were read in ok.

The pipeline hangs just as you saw in the debug file I sent you earlier. At that point I have no gdb prompt either. The signal SIGINT is from my CTL-C to stop the pipeline. The backtrace doesn’t seem to show anything useful but perhaps I’m not using gdb correctly. Maybe the warnings above regarding some windows DLLs indicate that gdb is not functioning properly.

Regarding a wireshark capture, please see the attached pcap file. I’m using version 2.0.4, 64 bit. My capture filter is “udp port 5018”. You can see that packets coming from the sender [an xp machine on the same local LAN] are reaching the receiver machine [windows 7 64 bit] running the gdb debug session mentioned above. However, no data is displayed to the screen.

As a sanity check, I ran my own C++ udp receiver test app and data from the sender pipeline is received and displayed correctly. This seems to confirm that your udpsrc element is not working properly for a simple receiver case. I’m a little surprised that this is true since udpsrc has been around a while.

Anyway, I appreciate your help to resolve this issue.
Regards,
Bill