Debugging gstreamer buffer issues

Kristoffer Glembo kristoffer.glembo at qamcom.se
Mon Mar 7 14:21:16 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

What is a good way to debug/profile gstreamer?

E.g. I have a problem where my H264 HW encoder plugin (imxvpuenc_h264) seems to be running slow and not returning buffers fast enough to the video device. I would like to be able to monitor where in my pipeline the buffers are queued up. Are there any good tools for this kind of profiling? Or any tools at all for that matter :-)

Another question I have is regarding audio/video sync. I use mp4mux to mux a H264 and a ALAC stream into an MP4. When I play it back the audio is a couple of 100 ms before the video. What's the correct way to adjust this? I've tried modifying parameters on alsasrc (i.e. latency-time) and on my queues (i.e. min-threshold-time) but nothing seems to work. I assume this is because the timestamps are used to sync audio and video, but I'm not sure what the best way is to adjust for such delay issues.

Best regards,

Kristoffer