Playbin and changing video-sink

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Mar 12 14:13:11 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-03-12 at 13:04 +0200, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
[…]
> qt here is quicktime, not the toolkit :)

I never even thought of Quicktime, this being Linux!

> The gtk_main_quit() assertions are something you should look into,
> it's
> something wrong with either your GTK code or the D bindings.

I can definitely believe it my code, D bindings as well but much less
so. Sadly I am having to contemplate using C directly from D as the D
binding appear to have big difficulties with the Value type. Or this
maybe me just not appreciating how to do things properly.

> The other thing is expected: when closing the window created by a
> video
> sink, you'll get an error message. Also note that the automatically
> created windows of video sinks are just there for debugging purposes,
> you shouldn't use that in a real application but instead somehow
> create
> windows/widgets yourself and embed the video in there.

The initial target was to get xvimagesink overlaying in D rather than
C++, then the idea was to enforce the use of gtkglsink. So using the
automated window was indeed just for development purposes.

> That's surprising, changing the video sink during PLAYING should have
> no effect at all until the next time you go back to READY. But in
> general, changing video sinks in playbin is not supported in
> PAUSED/PLAYING state. It should not fail like this though, can you
> report a bug about that with a small C testcase application?
>   https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer
>
> What is it that you're trying to do here? What's the goal of these
> experiments? :)

I am trying to never use C for anything to do with GTK and GStreamer :-
)

I'll write a C version of the code I have in D so as to remove a
variable. Once available, and showing the same problem (if it does),
I'll post a bug report.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk