Using buffering info in gstreamer 0.10

Pawel Kapica p.kapica at samsung.com
Wed Mar 16 14:07:42 UTC 2016

Hi!

I am using GStreamer 0.10.38 (I have to use this version) for playing video
from network streams (e.g youtube) and I found a problem that I need to
solve.

My application for video playing (using uridecodebin or playbin2) should
show user buffering progress. To be precise, if current position (being
played) is inside buffered area I need to show buffering progress from
current position to the end of its buffered area. Using sample application
(http://docs.gstreamer.com/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=3278
08 with ring -buffer limited to 2MB) I observe that current position may not
be inside any reported buffered area. In this example I can assume that data
is buffered and being processed inside the pipeline. The problem starts when
user can seek (multiple times) through the video.

Can you please give me any clues if there is any way (API calls) to learn if
current position is inside next buffered area?

BR,

Pawel

PS. To be precise, I observe that in my pipeline element that responses for
buffering queries is queue2. However this element shows only state of its
buffers. More data may be already push into pipeline (for example to
multiqueue). I think this is the reason why current position may be outside
buffers reported by queries. This knowledge however does not give me the
solution for a problem of determination if current position is inside
buffered area.