GStreamer/Java

Chuck Crisler ccrislerathome at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 02:52:48 UTC 2016

What is the preferred way to build a Java app with GStreamer, JNI or Java
binding? I am working to have the app running on Windows, Linux and Android
at first, then (after a massive UI re-write) iOS, so I would prefer to have
something that is somewhat portable. I have done some initial work with
Android (Thank You Sebastian for the tutorials!). Now I am working on Linux
and Windows. Working with relatively up-to-date versions of GStreamer is
important to me (looking forward to 1.8 soon)., which suggests to me an
approach using JNI. If that is the case (JNI), is it reasonable to use the
GStreamer Android tutorials as a starting point? As a side but related
question, if you have a Java project defined in Eclipse that uses a JNI
library, can you build the C library within Eclipse as part of the Java
project? If so, where should I look for documentation? Yes, I realize that
Windows and LInux will be very different and I am still not sure if I will
use Visual Studio (but am leaning that way). That thought brings up an
interesting next thought of doing development in WIndows with VS and
porting back to Linux. Thoughts anyone?

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler