Bad error message?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Mar 19 10:28:39 UTC 2016

On Sa, 2016-03-19 at 10:08 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:

> > If you enable debug logs, you should also see another error right
> > before that. Something like "Error creating GdkGLContext".
> Exactly what I got with GST_DEBUG=3.

What did it say after that in the same line? There should be the error
message from GDK. Why it actually failed.

> > Instead of an assertion it would of course be better to gracefully
> > error out, but it seems like running into this code didn't even seem
> > possible during implementation. If you have a GtkGLArea widget, it
> > should be able to give you its OpenGL context.
> I guess my position is that any system in production that generates an
> assertion fail to the user is "broken": production installations should
> always fail gracefully. Hence my confidence this is a big of some sort
> in GStreamer even if the causation is a bug outside GStreamer.

Yes, it should be handled more gracefully in GStreamer... and GTK/GDK
should already fail much earlier too instead of providing a useless
GtkGLArea. Do other GtkGLArea based applications work btw?