HLS TS segments generated by nvh264enc is not playing (except the first segment)

Ugur ugur at younow.com
Tue Mar 22 15:05:26 UTC 2016

I have two pipelines that creates hls video. Unfortunately when i use
nvh264enc only the first ts file is playable. When i try to play the second
file or the other ts segments I see a black screen.

Then i run ffprobe on the segments. For the playable segment:
Stream #0:0[0x41]: Video: h264 (High) (HDMV / 0x564D4448), yuv420p, 320x240,
30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn, 60 tbc

For the failing segment:
Could not find codec parameters for stream 0 (Video: h264 (HDMV /
0x564D4448), none): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize'
options

x264enc pipeline:
gst-launch-1.5 videotestsrc is-live=true ! x264enc   ! mpegtsmux ! hlssink
playlist-length=100 target-duration=5 playlist-location=x264enc.m3u8
location=x264enc%u.ts

nvh264enc pipeline:
gst-launch-1.5 videotestsrc is-live=true ! nvh264enc ! mpegtsmux ! hlssink
playlist-length=100 target-duration=5 playlist-location=nvh264enc.m3u8
location=nvh264enc%u.ts

So it looks like an issue with incorrect/nonexisting meta data.

Any suggestions what how to fix it? Or what could be the cause?

Best,
Ugur