Rewrite of DVB related elements

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Mar 25 08:53:27 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-03-24 at 15:21 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of rewriting (well nigh on starting from scratch)
> Me TV (https://github/Me-TV/Me-TV ) to replace all the hardwired Linux
> API and Xine/VLC/GStreamer for video rendering use with a much deeper
> tie in with GStreamer, dropping all the Xine and VLC stuff. However,
> GStreamer is based on Linux API use but mostly DVBv3 with a DVBv5 "hack
> layer".  I believe this needs to be updated. However this would be a
> revolutionary change since I believe the way forward on this is to use
> libdvbv5 and not deal with the Linux API directly.
>
> libdvbv5 (linuxtv.org/docs/libdvbv5) is maintained by the Linux API
> team to provide a better API for applications to work with.

If I'm not mistaken this would also mean that a) a lot of code from the
dvb plugin would disappear as it is handled in libdvbv5 already and b)
that we finally handle modern channel files. But would we still handle
old channel files?

Also it's important that the MPEG-TS bits are still exposed in the
normal way by the dvb elements, and not somehow handled/hidden by
libdvbv5.