Color space conversion CPU utilization

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Mar 25 15:11:14 UTC 2016

On Fr, 2016-03-25 at 07:00 -0700, asp wrote:
> Sebastian, thanks for the response!
>
> The pipelines above are just to illustrate the situation -- in the actual
> pipeline there's a filter which only supports RGBA/BGRA. So, the conversion
> taking place is from YUV420P to BGRA and back.
>
> Coming from ffmpeg-backed implementation, this conversion was not,
> obviously, free -- but wasn't as expensive either. Unfortunately I don't
> have 0.10 built with x264enc handy to compare, but I'd imagine
> ffmpegcolorspace would be close(r) to what we used to have. I may end up
> trying to build it as an external filter for 1.0 and see how it compares.

ffmpegcolorspace is not based on swscale and usually much slower than
both videoconvert and swscale. Ok, so the conversion you need to have
faster is I420 to BGRA (or RGBA? which one?) and back?

Can you file a bug about that? If there are no fast paths for that yet,
we should add them. And possibly also assembly implementations if they
don't exist yet.