GStreamer license question

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Mar 30 12:11:45 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-03-30 at 07:56 -0400, Aaron Boxer wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for my question, but
> here goes
>
> Is it acceptable to distribute GStreamer under GPL v3 ?
>
> Since the library is released under LGPL 2, the LGPL license
> allows for a distribution under GPL 2+.
>
> I just want to double check that this is fine.

GStreamer itself and all its dependencies are LGPL version 2 (or at
your option) any later version. So that covers the GPL 2 and also the
GPL 3.

All the plugins we distribute are also at GPL compatible (including
their dependencies) and I'm not aware of any GPL 2 only one, but they
might not be LGPL compatible (that is, they might be GPL licensed). For
3rd party plugins you'll have to check yourself.

So in general, distributing under the GPL v3 should be no problem. The
LGPL is basically a weaker version of the GPL that additionally allows
linking of non-GPL compatible code with the GStreamer library (i.e. you
can build a proprietary application on top of GStreamer).