Gstreamer and Android app

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon May 2 21:50:34 UTC 2016

On Mo, 2016-05-02 at 11:36 -0700, de_ninja wrote:
> Like you said I put the aac stream in a container with the following
> pipeine:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 audiotestsrc ! faac ! "audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4" ! udpsink
> host=224.0.0.1 port=8001
>
> Still the same error. I tried to write the incoming Bytes to an aac file and
> play it, but it didn't work. So I think the Android media extractor isn't
> the problem.

That's not putting it into a container, it's still a raw AAC stream.
And depending on the stream format, this is also very hard to play back
as you will lose all packetization when writing it to a file.

Use some streamable container here, I guess if you need Android to read
the file your best choice is AAC in MPEG-TS, especially as you want to
transmit it over UDP.

(Before you ask, MP4 is not a streamable container format)

It might also be an option to just use GStreamer in the Android app
too, you're much more flexible then with regard to supported codecs,
container formats and transport protocols.