JPEG 2000 over RTP

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:05:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com
> wrote:

> On Do, 2016-04-28 at 11:28 -0400, Aaron Boxer wrote:
>

> > > No, the payloader/depayloader should have no external dependencies
> > > and you probably also don't save a lot of work with that as the
> > > parsing
> > > needs to be closely integrated with the payloading/depayloading
> > > anyway.
> > Thanks. Makes sense. Can I copy-paste BSD licensed OpenJPEG code into
> > the payloader? I would maintain a piece of OpenJPEG inside, and try
> > to keep it as independant as possible, to ease maintenance.
>
> If that really makes your life easier, sure :) But make sure to not
> copy over much more code than needed, parsing JPEG2000 is not that
> complicated in the end.

Thanks. I looked over the IETF document describing J2K over RTP.
You're right, it is not complicated for a simple implementation.
The J2K code stream is broken up into:

Main Header
Start of Codestream Marker
     Tile Part Header
     Tile Part Data
         J2K packet 1 ... N
     .
     .
     Tile Part Header
     Tile Part Data
        J2K packet 1 ... M
End of Codestream Marker

where the image is broken into tiles, and the tiles are broken into tile
parts.

It would be ideal to manage the RTP payloads to respect the packet structure
of J2K. This is recommended in the IETF doc, but I don't think this is
happening in the current implementation.
I can work on this, time permitting.

Cheers,
Aaron