Is it possible to convert aac audio to mp3 without conversion

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu May 5 20:29:22 UTC 2016

On Do, 2016-05-05 at 20:33 +0300, Alex Bolotin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that I could use a pipeline that decodes audio, converts it
> into something I need, but I'm curious if there is a way to do it
> without decodeing/encoding.

You can't convert MP3 to AAC or the other way around without
reencoding. The formats are too different.

> I wonder if gstreamer can do smth like ffmpeg is capable of - ffmpeg
> -i 1.ts -c copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -y output.mp4

That ffmpeg command is not converting MP3 to AAC without reencoding.
What it does is to convert MPEG2/4 ADTS AAC to raw MPEG4 AAC with the
configuration box required by MP4.

In GStreamer, the aacparse element would do that.