Seeking during playback

Thornton, Keith keith.thornton at zeiss.com
Wed May 18 09:16:59 UTC 2016

Hi,
I have two pipelines (Gstreamer 1.8.1 Windows 7 x64), one is started when I want to record i.e. running time is 0, the other is started to produce a live image. This second pipeline has a tee and a second branch is added when a recording is needed i.e. recording starts at time > 0.
Both pipelines use the same encoder to encode an mp4 file in H264.
The DTS in both files is identical starting at 0 and monotonously incrementing. PTS is delivered by the decoder.
When I play back the files, both play correctly and I can jump back and forth in both files using VLC and media player.
With gstreamer.I can jump back and forth, pause and play in the first file but not with the second.
The only difference I can see is the position field of the segment event is 0 in the first case but not in the second.
This seems to cause the file to reposition at EOS. Why should these position fields be different?
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? Is there more timing information stored in the recording over and above the PTS and DTS ?
Thanks for any help
Regards