uvch264src bug. Variations of distance between timestamps with uvch264src

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed May 18 12:33:48 UTC 2016

On Di, 2016-05-17 at 15:43 +0200, Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

> Is there a workaround for this bug? Apparently uvch264src does not
> generate evenly spaced time stamps, even though the fixed rate is
> enabled and the camera on an average generate the correct number of
> frames per second?
>
> I tried to look at the timestamps after a h264parse and that generate
> nicely even spaced timestamps for DTS, but that is not going to help
> ad the PTS will be used for display.

Can you file a bug about this? Would also be useful to know if v4l2src
is getting driver timestamps here or if we invent them ourselves, and
in case of the former if the driver actually gives correct (evenly
spaced) timestamps.

If we invent timestamps, they will be the ones when the frame arrived
in v4l2src. This depends a lot on the scheduler and as such you won't
get perfectly evenly spaced timestamps.

> I tried v4l2src with same result, but it seems uvch264src uses
> v4l2src somehow.

It's just a wrapper around v4l2src, yes.