Using Pulse to capture from soundcard

Cole Bush bush.c at husky.neu.edu
Thu May 19 22:25:33 UTC 2016

I have a raspberry pi with an external soundcard. I am wondering if the
following pipeline is possible:

iPod ---> auxiliary cord ---> input of soundcard ---> processing --->
output of soundcard

I currently have a pipeline in place that plays from file, displays the
spectrum, and then outputs to the soundcard. My next step is to replace the
file with input from the soundcard.

While having music playing on the aux cord, I have run: gst-launch-1.0
pulsesrc ! audioconvert ! pulsesink . It doesn't fail but i don't hear
anything.

Pulse/Alsa land is quite confusing and I am not sure if what I want to do
is doable while retaining audio quality.

Any insight?

Thanks!