Common DMA GStreamr allocator

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon May 23 07:46:14 UTC 2016

On Mo, 2016-05-23 at 01:44 +0000, Bing Song wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently V4L2 element can import and export DMA FD memory.
> glimagesink/kmssink can import DMA memory. Is there common DMA
> GStreamer allocator? So we can use the common DMA allocator if driver
> can't export DMA FD. As I know, ion driver (Android develop it) which
> in Linux Kernel stage fold can allocate DMA memory. Do GStreamer can
> accept common DMA GStreamer allocator based on ion driver?

You can find it in gst-plugins-base/gst-libs/gst/allocators/gstdmabuf.c

It can however not allocate dmabufs on its own as there is no generic
dmabuf allocation mechanism available. It can only wrap GstMemory
around existing dmabuf file descriptors.

If you have an API available that can allocate dmabufs, you could
provide an allocator around that that reuses the code mentioned above
and only extends it by the actual allocation.