Common DMA GStreamr allocator

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at gmail.com
Tue May 24 00:37:31 UTC 2016

Le lundi 23 mai 2016 à 01:44 +0000, Bing Song a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Currently V4L2 element can import and export DMA FD memory.
> glimagesink/kmssink can import DMA memory. Is there common DMA
> GStreamer allocator? So we can use the common DMA allocator if driver
> can't export DMA FD. As I know, ion driver (Android develop it) which
> in Linux Kernel stage fold can allocate DMA memory. Do GStreamer can
> accept common DMA GStreamer allocator based on ion driver?
A common DMA allocator is somehow an eutopia. It exist on Android since
you generally can't dynamically connect other video devices, hence you
can intersect the alignment requirement of all drivers  and hardware on
the platform. That being said, an GST ion based DMABuf allocator for
Android would definatly be acceptable. A fair use will be for vendor
using the same kernel/userspace for both Android and generic Linux. For
DMABuf FD wrapping, there is the GstDmabufAllocator object. It's not
really an allocator, because it does not allocate, but it wraps the FD
into GstMemory objects for you. Normally, we tend to put the
exportation of DMABuf FD near the producer of large frames (like
decoders). There even exist non-standard OMX hack to make the stack
export DMABuf.
Nicolas