Android echo cancellation

WS walt_stock at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 11:44:41 UTC 2016

Hi, I am developing a gstreamer VOIP application for Android with the
requirement to a) switch between internal and external speakersb) using
(ideally) the Android provided echo cancellation when using the external
speakersunfortunately I seem to have opened a can of worms, in particular
with respect to the android EchoCancellation issue. (I managed to solve that
particular problem by compiling my own libOpenSLES and incorporating a few
lines of code from later android versions).The basic problem:Android
Platform 14 doesn't exposes the android echo cancellation feature in its
opensles implementation (libOpenSLES which is required for android gstreamer
builds). Btw, it also doesn't expose the AudioManager's session ID - which
would be sufficient to create echo-cancellation through passing it on to
java code.Later android platforms allow that (I dont know when it happened
but 21 should work) - there, android opensles has a feature to enable echo
cancellation. I have seen no documentation but discovered a property
somewhere in the android opensles sources, which does not exist in platform
14. My attempt for a solution - using a higher APP_PLATFORM than 14:1)
compile existing gstreamer-sdk with APP_PLATFORM := android-21that fails.
The gstreamer-sdk code is not compatible.2) create a new gstreamer-sdk
(cerbero) with updated glib, pixman, and other libraries and new
android-ndk...That task was beyond me. I tried to simply update the version
numbers in the .recipie files but the code is partially pulled from the
gstreamer-sdk git for several libraries, (e.g. pixman) where the newer
versions do not exist. I couldn't yet figure out howto change the recipies
to pull the source code from the official repositories...I am confused and
not sure how to best solve the problem... Any help about the strategy or
pointer in the right direction is appreciated